Sunday, February 21, 2010

Chapter 7

What changes did IBP introduce to the meat packing industry?
IBP introduced grinders and boxed beef. They also introduced a new method that was quicker and became more profitable by selling smaller “fabricated” cuts, instead of whole sides.

Why were newer meat packing plants located in rural areas rather than in cities?
Newer plants were located in rural areas because of the horrid smell and the pools of waste from the feedlot.

What were the links between IBP and organized crime?
IBP bribed Holman to pay the New York Butcher Union 5 cents commission to withdrawal their objections and protests towards IBP boxed beef. After that, IBP was soon enough shipping back to Manhattan.

What has been the relationship between labor unions and modern meat packing plants?
The relationship is tense and greedy. They don’t work well together because one can boycott or adjust prices to their benefit.

How do wages in meat packing plants today compare with wages in the early 1900s, after the workers became unionized?
Wages had been cut by 40%. Now, there is more than 1/3 lower pay than 40 years ago in meat packaging plants.

How high is the employee turnover rate in the meat packing industry and why don't the meat packing plants see this as a problem?
The employee turnover rate is 400% annually. The rate isn’t a problem to meat packaging plants because they had cut wages but still earned profits. It’s also not a problem to them because new employees don’t get insurance or vacation time until about 2 years.

Where do meat packing companies go to recruit new employees? What is the “new industrial migrant?”
They recruit new employees from Mexico, Central America, SE Asia, and they also targeted some homeless shelters in NY, NJ, California, NC, and Rhode Island.

What is the impact on small communities of having a meat packing firm?
By having a meat packaging firm, this gives no control to the small communities. The firm’s can control the prices and settlements.

15 comments:

  1. from this site we get more helpful information. thanx for the valuable information. if you looking for any query about up board 10th result 2017 then click on
    UP board 10th class result

    ReplyDelete
  2. Halo,I'm Helena Julio from Ecuador,I want to talk good about Le_Meridian Funding Service on this topic.Le_Meridian Funding Service gives me financial support when all bank in my city turned down my request to grant me a loan of 500,000.00 USD, I tried all i could to get a loan from my banks here in Ecuador but they all turned me down because my credit was low but with god grace I came to know about Le_Meridian so I decided to give a try to apply for the loan. with God willing they grant me  loan of 500,000.00 USD the loan request that my banks here in Ecuador has turned me down for, it was really awesome doing business with them and my business is going well now. Here is Le_Meridian Funding Investment Email/WhatsApp Contact if you wish to apply loan from them.Email:lfdsloans@lemeridianfds.com / lfdsloans@outlook.comWhatsApp Contact:+1-989-394-3740.

    ReplyDelete